TWU recognizes that your first year at university is one of the most significant. How you start can shape how well you finish. That’s why we’ve created a program to get you the best start ever.
DO ANY OF THESE STATEMENTS RING TRUE FOR YOU?
- I want to really enjoy my first year at TWU and do well in my studies.
- I know that doing courses at university will be different than school, and I like the idea of having access to a team of experts to help me get my assignments done.
- I want to learn smart studying skills at university.
- I know that I haven’t really shown my potential at school—I want to shine at university.
- I know that I work best when I have someone or some people encouraging me.
- I am not entirely sure about my future, and I see this first year as a chance to explore possibilities.
- I want to make friends quickly.
WE’VE DESIGNED A PROGRAM JUST FOR YOU!
1. A CLEAR PLAN FOR YOU
Your dedicated academic advisor and your coach will work with you to design your own unique learning plan for the year. They will listen to your goals, understand your learning strengths, help you choose the right courses for you, and connect you to all the services at TWU (Learning Commons, Registrar, Finances, Student Life, The Wellness Centre) that you may need to implement your plan. You’ll also meet with your advisor regularly to discuss progress and make changes.
2. ACCELERATE YOUR LEARNING
In your first semester, you will receive training in how to be a successful learner at the university level. The interactive classes draw on the latest learning science research and cover a range of topics from note-taking to memorization. Past students rate these classes highly, particularly the sessions on time management, procrastination and managing anxiety, and see them as having life-long application.
3. GAIN AN IMMEDIATE COMMUNITY
Every TWU student needs to take core classes, so we have designed the program to keep LC1 students together for at least 1–2 classes. This will help you immediately feel connected in your first semester. LC1 students are very diverse; they have a variety of academic backgrounds and interests including art, music, business, medicine, psychology, theology, sport, film, and gaming. However, they are united in the goal of making their first year at university a great one!
The Lived Experience – LC1 2019/2020
I have so appreciated all the help and advice you all have given. I felt so much more prepared and calm knowing that someone had my back, and I wasn't alone in this transition to university.
This really got me prepared for year 2. Looking forward to applying the study habits I've learned this year.
It was an amazing experience! I wish they had it every year!
Thanks for everything guys! I felt very supported! It was a great year!
DegreesBachelor of Arts (BA)
"I have so appreciated all the help and advice you all have given. I felt so much more prepared and calm knowing that someone had my back, and I wasn't alone in this transition to university."